Monday, April 9, 2012

The Katniss Braid...





Are you as OBSESSED with the Hunger Games as I am?  I guess I'm still a teenager at heart.  From Harry Potter to the Twilight series and Hunger Games trilogy.  I love "Teen Lit".  Maybe it's because I have a tween at home to read it all with!

After watching the Hunger games I had a new obsession, the now famous,  "Katniss braid".  I just had to try it and scoured the internet for a how to.  And guess what it's super easy to do!!  I thought maybe the style was  too young for me, (also, my hair is very thin), but thought it would be perfect for my daughter.

 Modeled here by my daughter, I've done it two ways.  The first is a more authentic version, a bit loose and messy, just like the one worn by Katniss.  However, after a few hours at school, my daughter reported it had all fallen out.  


Messy and loose + nine year old girl = FAIL. 

 I wonder how Katniss made it through the whole time in the arena that way?   My next try was a tighter and cleaner version.  This was a winner for my girl!

How to:
(This works best on thicker hair, as the braid is not as dramatic on thin hair)

Basically, it is an inside out french braid. Also called a Dutch braid.

1.  Take a small section of hair starting on one side of your head just above your ear, for the lower version, or higher, if you want a higher braid, as in the second version.

2.  Section the hair into three sections as if to do a french braid.

3.  Begin as you would a french braid, but instead of braiding pieces over one another. braid pieces under one another.

4.  Start gathering hair as you go along and continue until you come to the nape of the neck.

5. Finish off with a backwards braid!

Enjoy! And may the odds be ever in your favor!

No comments:

Post a Comment